PABITRA, THE SOLO TRAVERLER FROM NEPAL

 PABITRA, THE SOLO TRAVERLER FROM NEPAL
Her adventurous life is full of surprises

It is an undeniable fact that, in recent times, the number of female solo travelers has increased around the world. And the numbers are always increasing. However, solo travel is a different phenomenon. In a normal situation, people travel with their family members and friends and sometimes alone. Well, traveling is always fraught with many known and unknown dangers. Thus, very few people dare to travel alone. But in recent times, the concept of solo travel has surged like never before. 

Over the last few years, the numbers of both male and female solo travelers have increased tremendously. Male solo travelers are okay, but female solo travelers have also jumped on the bandwagon and surprised the world with their courage and stamina. Today, there are many popular travelers, and many of them are female solo travelers. And they are not a few hundred, but they are in the hundreds and thousands, and they are from different countries. 

In the list of popular female solo travelers, one name should also be added from Nepal, and that name is Pabitra Bardewa. Over the last 8 years, Pabitra has been traveling across the country. She has almost completed the length and breadth of the country, mostly walking on foot. 




“Most of the time, I walk on foot to travel from one place to another. Long-distance walking is, of course, a tiresome task, and it is always challenging as well. It demands more physical strength and stamina. But I love to do it because when I walk on foot, I pass through different places. I see new places and meet new people. I stay there and interact with them. This allows me to understand my fellow citizens much more closely. This is the benefit one can get while walking on foot, said Pabitra. 

Pabitra prefers taking vehicles while traveling through urban areas. But as soon as she enters rural areas, she starts walking across the region. 

“As soon as I entered rural areas, I became very happy, because my real trek begins the moment I enter a rural ambience. But in the past, I used to walk in urban areas as well. I walked from Pokhara to several popular districts, but soon I realized that walking on the pitched road is full of hazards. This is the only reason I have abandoned walking on the road completely. 








Very recently, Pabitra went to Upper Mustang and walked through the rugged mountains. Walking alone in these formidable Himalayan regions is, of course, a very challenging task for a solo female traveler. But she is quite capable of doing all this with ease and confidence. 

“I am a solo traveler. Unlike other travelers, I prefer slow travel. While traveling, I prefer to stay with the local people for a couple of days and try to understand them, and this is only possible if we stay with them. I kick the trail once again when I think I should move to see yet another place. My solo travels around the Upper Mustang region were full of joy, thrills, and adventures. I traveled and lived with the people of Lo Mangthan, Kagbeni, Chhusang, Chhoser, Chhonhup, Thangbe, and Marpha. The advantage of being a solo female traveler is that you can easily get shelter at any home. People are not afraid of women. But they think twice before giving shelter to a male," chuckles Pabitra. 

After spending about a month in the villages of Upper Mustang, Pabitra went straight to Dhorpatan. As usual, she was not there only to see Dhorpatan Hunting Reserve. She was there to see how village people live, work, and spend their leisure time. 

“I took a bus ride from Pokhara to Beni and stayed in Beni for one day. After that, I continued my walk from Beni. During my trek, I lived in some villages like Bobang, Surtibang, Jaljala, Moraeni, and Darbang. Most of the people living in the villages are simple farmers, and they grow seasonal crops. I found potatoes of outstanding quality, and their taste was simply great, opined Pabitra. 

Pabitra’s trek to Pathibara was arduous and full of challenges. After returning from Dhorpatan, she took a few days' rest in Pokhara, and once again, she fastened her boots for yet another challenge, and this time it was Pathibara. 

“I took a bus to Dharan. I stayed a day in Dharan and explored its beauty, then prepared myself for the Pathibara trek. I began a full-day walk from Suketar to Deurali. The next day, I continued from Deurali to Fedi. After spending one day at Fedi, the next day I began the uphill trek to Pathibara. I walked nonstop for five hours, and finally, I was on the top of the hill, and in front of me spread the gorgeous Himalayas, flanked by the temple of the deity Pathibara.”. 











Pabitra has chosen to travel for the cause of promoting Nepali tourism. She travels, lives with the local people, and tells their stories. She wants to encourage people to travel whenever it is possible. Though there is no age for traveling, it is much easier when we are young. As we get older, traveling becomes much more physically challenging, advises Pabitra.

Pabitra herself runs a homestay in her village, Parche. Parche is a beautiful village that lies to the north of Dhikur Pokhari in the Kaski district. While traveling, she also advertised her homestay, and she has been successful in doing so. 

“In Parche, ours is the only homestay otherwise, you will find modern-day hotels and guest houses in the area. My mother is in charge of the homestay. I occasionally spend my time there at my homestay. Otherwise, mostly I am on my feet, walking from one village to another. My mother is running the homestay very well. During the tourist season, several tourists visit Parche, and many of them stay in our homestay. We set up tents across the porch, where the visitors stay under tents. They can have a wonderful feeling staying under tents, said Pabitra. 

Pabitra wants to extend her special gratitude to Monika, a German woman. “After the death of my father, who himself was a veteran traveler, my family broke apart. During that time, Monika, whom we call Aama, gave her much-needed support. Due to her financial and moral support, our family was saved from falling apart, said Pabitra emotionally. 

Pabitra is keen to work with travel agencies, quality hotels, and those business concerns related to tourism. “To support my travel expenses, until now, I depended on my mother. But I want to work with tourism-related business houses. I can promote their businesses in many ways. This way, both of us will have mutual benefits. Interested business houses can contact me on my mobile: 9745453303. If you want to visit my homestay in Parche, then you can contact my mother. Her mobile number is 984633935”. 

Pabitra is an asset to Nepali tourism. Being a girl and walking so much for the cause of promoting Nepali tourism is not everyone’s cup of tea. Her efforts must be recognized by the state, and she should be supported in all possible ways. We hope she will not quit her great work to promote Nepali tourism only due to a lack of necessary moral and financial support. Let’s support her endeavors so that she can continue working as Nepal’s tourism ambassador to the world.


WANT TO REPRODUCE THIS ARTICLE?
All rights reserved. All the articles and photos published in this blog are the copyright property of this blog. I allow articles and photos to be reproduced only for information and educational purposes. For that, you must mention the author and the blog's name. Blog: read2bhappy.blogspot.com. I would appreciate it if you inform me by sending an email to writerlbthapa@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless