DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Though Prabin does not get any financial assistance, his love for snakes pushes him to catch them to safety. Photos: All photos by Prabin 
 By LB THAPA

Snakes are one of the most important reptiles found in our environment. They are of course an inseparable part of our environment because they play an important role to maintain the ecological system. This shy creature does not like human presence and therefore it prefers quiet places to spend most of its time. 

Despite the fact that snakes invariably avoid human beings, most of the snakes die at the hands of human beings than other causes. Most of the time snakes come to human residential areas to find their favorite food, rats. That is the time when snakes and human beings come face to face and as usual, during such time many snakes are killed---without knowing whether they were poisonous or not. 

In this write-up, I am going to introduce a young man from Pokhara whose selfless love for snakes has made him a local celebrity. He is Prabin Pandey, but he prefers to be addressed as RJ Prabin. 

Currently, Prabin is doing Bachelor’s in law at Prithvi Narayan Campus, Pokhara. Owing to his extreme love for snakes, he has carved a name as a popular snake rescuer in Pokhara. Working under Snake Conservation Society Nepal (SCS), Prabin is locally known as an experienced snake rescuer. 

“Ever since my childhood, I was fascinated with snakes. I wanted to know more about them. My inner drive to understand snakes brought me much closer to them. I began spending more time to know about snakes. I regularly read every available literature related to snakes and I watch popular YouTube videos about snake behavior. My self-drive to understand snakes is an ongoing process. I do not think my passion for snakes will die down anytime soon. My thirst for knowing more about snakes is simply unquenchable,” declares Prabin. 

Prabin is always ready to render his service of rescuing a snake. Sometimes he is called at night and sometimes he is called from different districts. He never disappoints them but provides his service without charging any fees.  

Saving the life of snakes is his only passion. 






















“I catch snakes which have entered a house or a storeroom and later I release them in the nearby forest. For your kind information, there are 83 types of snakes found in Nepal. Among them only 19 are venomous. Moreover, in the entire Kaski district, there are 35 types of snakes. Among them, only five snakes are venomous”, added Prabin, a locally popular snake rescuer. 

This is a fact that many people do not have enough knowledge about snakes. Therefore, they tend to kill every snake nearby them. It is due to the abysmal ignorance of people that many snakes are killed. Let’s not forget that every single snake killed will harm the ecological system of nature.   

“Snakes are an important part of the ecological system of nature. Moreover, their presence in a country like Nepal becomes even more important because they eat rats and other harmful insects, which otherwise destroy seasonal crops. Thus, as a whole snakes help to protect farmers’ produce and at the same time, their venoms are used to make an antidote for saving the lives of many people who are bitten by snakes. In brief, snakes are our friends, they are not our enemies”, added Pandey. 

Speaking about antidotes for snakebites, they are mostly available in government hospitals. In Nepal, about 20,000 people are bitten annually by snakes. Among them, over 1000 people lose their lives every year. 

About the snakebite, Prabin said, “Snakes are active during March, April, and June, July. During these months, more snakes come out of hibernation and roam around for food. Most of the cases of snakebites are reported during these months. I become extremely busy during these months as I receive several calls every day”.

Rescuing snakes involves a lot of risk of life. A slight carelessness could cost a life. There are many cases when even snake rescuers were bitten by venomous snakes and lost their lives. 

“Snake biting is quite a common incident in Nepal. Every year many people are bitten by snakes in Tarai and hilly regions. If someone is bitten by a snake, then the first thing to do is to remain calm and composed. This will stabilize blood pressure so that poison will not spread rapidly in the body. After then the patient should be taken to a nearby government hospital at the earliest possible. One should keep in mind that mostly anti-venom drugs are only available in government hospitals,” advised Prabin. 

Prabin has already rescued over 2000 snakes and still, he is catching them regularly. Among many snakes he has rescued so far, six of them were king cobras. He has rescued these six king cobras from different locations.

“The first king cobra I had rescued from Palpa. Two of them were from Kathmandu and the remaining three king cobras I rescued from Pokhara. One day early in the morning, I was called from Palpa where a huge snake had been spotted in a storeroom of a house. To everyone’s surprise, the snake was not an ordinary one. It was a massive king cobra, which was about six feet long. I had to be extra cautious in dealing with such a venomous king cobra. There was in fact no margin for an error. King cobra’s single bite can even kill a fully-grown elephant”, said Pandey.

It is said that most snakes are not poisonous. However, many people kill snakes because they think those snakes are poisonous. If they know the snake is not venomous then definitely they will never kill them. Nevertheless, the question is how a nonprofessional can know whether a snake is poisonous or not. This is a difficulty.  

“Yes, this is true that most of the snakes are completely harmless. However, many people kill snakes thinking of they are poisonous. To some extent, we can distinguish a poisonous snake from a non-poisonous snake. One obvious distinction is the head of a snake. The head of a poisonous snake will be slightly larger and triangular in size. Non-venomous snakes will have more rounded heads. Another difference is the pupil of a venomous snake. It will be elliptical while non-venomous its pupil will be rounded,” revealed Prabin.

Many people hold this wrong belief that when someone is bitten by a snake then the snake victim needs an anti-venom drug urgently or the victim will succumb to death. Because of this wrong belief, the person who has been bitten by a venomous snake grows tensed and further exacerbates his condition.

“I have personally seen several cases in the mountain regions where many snake victims survived even after 24 hours. In short, I would say that after having bitten by a venomous snake, the victim must not worry and remain calm and composed. The people around him/her must encourage the victim. In the meantime, they should take the victim to a nearby government hospital as soon as possible”.

Speaking with this scribe Prabin disclosed that almost all snake rescuers in Nepal follow their passions without any monetary benefits. They get no salary or any monetary benefit whatsoever but continue their passions. In the meantime, many senior and experienced snake rescuers have already quit and disappeared into oblivion.

“We rescue deadly snakes by putting our lives at risk but in return we get nothing. In case of being bitten by any venomous snake then I have to bear all the expenses myself. I will not get any financial help. Many times, I have visited other districts to rescue snakes at my own expense. Literarily speaking, snake rescuers like me get nothing for our risky work. This is the reason my parents are not happy with me and they constantly advise me not to put my life at risk for anything. However, I have continued rescuing snakes because it is my passion. How can I compromise against my passion?” asked Prabin with a gloomy face.

This is very sad to know that these snake rescuers risk their lives but in return, they get nothing. Even their lives have not been insured and in case they are bitten by any venomous snakes then they are left to fend themselves. Do not forget that these snake rescuers are doing great work. They are saving not only the lives of many people but also the lives of snakes. 

If these snake rescuers stop doing their work, definitely more people will die due to snakebites and more snakes will be killed at human hands.

Is it not necessary to provide financial support and life insurance for these snake rescuers? If this is done then certainly these snake rescuers can turn their passion into a profession.

Courtesy: Originally this article was published in The Rising Nepal on 11 March 2022

The author (right) with Prabin, the snake rescuer of Pokhara.

LEGAL WARNING

All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA.

Comments

  1. Hello, brother my name is Ashim Gurung. I'm also from Pokhara but now I'm living in Australia. I am also fond of snakes. I read this article many times. When I come to Pokhara I will definitely meet you.
    Ashim Gurung
    Sydney, Australia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are really saving the lives of snakes and people. Great work.
    Sarita Thapa
    Dharan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know about you Mr. Prabin. I know one place in the US they give professional training to handle snakes. It is "Save The Snakes". Their address is 2929 35th St #5402 Sacramento, CA 95817 USA contact@savethesnakes.org. +19165204382. Just for your knowledge. If you want to get more knowledge about how to handle snakes you can contact this organization in the US.
    Adam Hopkings
    California, US

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Snakes. Wonderful. You are so brave.
    Nitika Shakya
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much all of you...You gyz can contact me on 9814142349 for snake rescue🙏🐍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I have noted down your mobile number. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Do you also teach how to catch a venomous snake? I'm interested.
    Bibas Shrestha
    Hemja, Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok sir you can directly contact me on 9814142349

      Delete
  7. Very dangerous work. You risk your life. You should also charge some money. People will sure give you.
    Dr.Sabita Regmi
    Amarsingh chowk, Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are saving two lives: people's and snakes but government is not provide you any financial help. Very bad to know. I think you should release all cobra snakes in their houses then they will understand your value.
    Raj Kumar Koirala
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a young boy. I think you should go abroad for higher education related to snake handling and rescue. This will be good for your career. Find career abroad not in Nepal. Nepal is the land for corrupt people. Those who are gunda and say trees release carbon dioxide become ministers here. Ha...ha...ha
    Santosh Gurung
    Dharan, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to give my thanks to the blogger for writing such a nice interview of Prabin the snake rescuer. I'm a regular reader of this blog and I want to advice everyone to read this blog for knowledge and idea.
    Niraj BK
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Niraj ji for your appreciation. I am always encouraged by the readers one like you. Once again thank you very much for liking this interview of Prabin.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your comment sir🔥🙏

      Delete
  11. I think you should visit public and private schools and give lessons about snakes. Like types of snakes and which are poisonous ones. You should also teach them how to handle them in emergency cases.
    Samikchha Koirala
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lack of proper budget I have not been able to do so....As soon as possible I will manage myself and conduct that kind of programme❤️🙏❤️🙏

      Delete
  12. Don't worry young boy. I see you have a bright future. Just keep it up. Good days will sure come in your life.
    Thomas Mercendy
    Vancouver, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Thomas Mercendy❤️❤️🔥🔥🔥

      Delete
  13. Actually, I have just completed six months course about how to handle all kinds of snakes. If covid-19 situation further improves then I will come to Nepal in October 2022. For a few days we will walk together in the forest of Pokhara. Ok, dear. See you later in. I have noted down your mobile number from the comment box.
    George
    Auckland, New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure sir I am waiting....This would be a great opportunity for me too🐍🙏

      Delete
  14. You are only a young boy but your dedication is very high. You are really a different boy.
    Radhika Phuyal
    Lecturer in English
    Shanker Dev Campus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much mam for your comment💚🐍

      Delete
  15. Absolutely great work. I am also a great lover of snakes. They are our friends. You are doing good work. Here in Tarai snakes are even more poisonous than in mountain areas.
    Hari Neupane
    Biratnagar, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Prabin ji, are you giving training to catch snakes right now?
    Hari Neupane
    Baglung

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our team of Snake Conservation Society Nepal conducts such type of programme You can directly call me at 9814142349 if you need some information💚🐍

      Delete
  17. Are all green snakes poisonous? Because one time I was bitten by a green snake but nothing happened to me.
    Ramesh Thakali
    Kushma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sir all green snakes are nt venomous at all...Please contact me at 9814142349 for further information💚🐍

      Delete
  18. Just today I read this article and came to know about you. Great work, brother. Continue.
    Dinesh Gurung
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job, but take care of yourself. You are such a nice boy but those snakes are deadly. Be careful.
    Garry Thomas
    A wildlife lover
    Canada

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm impressed. You are doing very important work but government must help you. I think media should write about this matter. I thank to this writer for taking this issue.

    Arjun Thapa
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice job but you need to be careful.

    Rashmi Gurung
    Butwal

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the heading of this article. It is really dealing with poisonous snakes is not a joke. Mr. Prabin I'm impressed with your work.

    Dipesh Chhetri
    Chhetri Samaj, Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thankyou sir you can directly call me at 9814142349 for rescue in pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  24. You look so smart with snakes. But my brother take care of yourself. Little carelessness and accident can happen at anytime.

    Bidur Neupane
    Kathmandu University
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  25. Do you give snake catching/rescuing training to people? If yes then I want to join the group.

    Hari Bhattarai
    Baglung

    ReplyDelete
  26. One person told me that if the tail of a snake is not pointed then it is not poisonous but if the tail is sharp and pointed then the snake is poisonous. Is it true? Please tell me.

    Bhawindra Tripathi
    Nawalparasi

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless