LIVING FOR CYCLING AND BLOOD DONATION: Tirtha Awasthi, national cyclist and erstwhile president of Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor’s Society (NVBDS)

 
Tirtha Awasthi is the past founder and president of Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor's Society, Kaski (NVBDS-Kaski)

By LBTHAPA

We have heard several stories of rags to riches. But Tirtha Awasthi does not fall in that league of the super-rich. However, he has yet enormous wealth that is worth beyond any wealth. You might be wondering what sort of wealth I am talking about!

 

It is saving a precious life…how does he do that? Ok! He and his organization are committed to helping those patients who need blood in an emergency. His organization is so popular for its credibility that when doctors get no blood from the Red Cross Society, they turn to the Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor’s Society.  Tirtha Awasthi, my guest today, is the erstwhile president of the Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor’s Society (NVBDS).

 

The slogan of Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor’s Society is “Not a single patient should die in the country due to lack of blood”. At a time when the Red Cross Society is losing its credibility and plagued by corruption, NVBDS has been shining with its selfless service by providing precious blood in time and saving the life.

 

Tirtha Awasthi is deeply involved in blood collection and providing it to needy patients. To get connected with many people, he took cycling. Today, Tirtha Awasthi is one of the finest cyclists in Nepal. And his selfless job of blood donation has earned him lots of love and respect from every stratum of society.

 

The other day this scribe had a conversation with Tirtha Awasthi, where he talked at length about his life, service, struggle, and some personal opinions regarding blood donation and cycling. 

Excerpt. 


How was your childhood?

I am from Kanchanpur, Amraiya. I was born into a middle-class family. My father was the only breadwinner in the family. We had little land with a thatched roof hut where five members of the family lived. I still remember we would have a difficult time during the monsoon. Rainwater would drip in from several places on the roof.

 

We had no electricity connection at our house. In fact, it was more a hut than a house. Up to the 8 standards I used to wear slippers, and a pair of shoes was a luxury for me. A large wooden cupboard was the only family property, in which my father would keep medicines. My father was a pharmacist. 

 

You went to Kathmandu for further education. Isn’t it?

Yes, it is true. Actually, I did not go to Kathmandu for study purposes. I had been to Kathmandu to collect my CMA certificate. In fact, I had to get it from CTEVT, Bhaktapur. I was supposed to stay in Kathmandu for about 45 days. Since I did not have enough money to stay in Kathmandu, I began doing some odd jobs to survive in Kathmandu. During that time, I was living on a tight budget. I would walk most of the time and I would spend less on food. Many times when I would have no money, I would skip dinner. At a time when I was staying on a shoe-tight budget, I wanted to study pharmacy. About that time, an opportunity came my way. The first batch of diplomas in pharmacy had to be started in Kathmandu in 2004. I did apply for a seat and I got selected, but when I came to know about the annual tuition fee, I almost fainted. It was Rs.35,000. Until then I did not have even one thousand rupees in my pocket. But Rs.35,000 was like climbing Mt. Everest and that too without oxygen. I met the campus chief and described my situation. He listened to my predicament more like a wise owl, and then he advised me to quit. Nevertheless, I was adamant…I was hell-bent to study Pharmacy at any cost. But I could not ask for money from my parents because I knew they did not have that much money. However, I am thankful to the campus chief for giving me three months. I had to clear all dues within three months. Only god knows how I paid off the dues. Eventually, I completed the diploma in the first division.

 

How did you happen to come to Pokhara?

After completing my diploma in pharmacy, I was working in Kathmandu. In the meantime, there was a vacancy announcement in a national newspaper, where a pharmacist was required for Manipal Teaching Hospital, Pokhara. I came to Pokhara and applied for the job. They required only one employee, but there were over two dozen applicants. I had almost no hope. I passed a written test then I faced an interview. My happiness knew no bounds when I saw my name on the notice board. I had been appointed as a new pharmacist at Manipal Teaching Hospital. It was August 2010 when I received my appointment letter from Manipal Teaching Hospital. Now I love Pokhara so much that I don’t think I can even think of leaving this beautiful city in the future.  






When did you begin social activities?

I have a personal attachment to poor and helpless people. I have already experienced poverty in my life... I know it better. I feel as if my heart would come out when I see people in trouble. I have seen many children, mothers, and old people breathing their last due to not getting blood in time. Otherwise, their lives could be saved only if we could provide them blood in time. I immediately took a vow; I would not let them die due to a shortage of blood. About that time, I decided to form an organization, which should collect blood for the patients who need them.

 

When I was thinking of forming an organization, I came to know about Prem Sagar Karmacharya. He is the only man who has donated blood most of the time in Nepal. I went to Kathmandu and met him. I discussed with him and revealed my hidden desire. I was very happy that he showed enormous trust in me. Under Prem Sagar Karmacharya’s guidance, the first Kaski branch of Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor’s Society (NVBDS) came into existence on 6th February 2014. There are some senior doctors like Dr. AL Sharma, Dr. Kadir Alam, Dr. Alok Sinha, Dr. Shahishsruta Basnet, Dr. Dipak Koirala, Dr.Sarina Rajbhandari, and Dr. Rishi Kumar Sherchan are the advisors of our organization. Today NVBDS has branches in 33 districts of Nepal.

You have also achieved a remarkable feat of success in cycling. Have you taken cycling professionally?

Actually, there is an interesting story to tell about cycling. My main interest is in blood donation; cycling came later in my life. In fact, the organization was formed but this was not enough. The organization alone could not solve the shortage of blood. We need to be active by increasing the number of members of our organization. I wanted to meet more people in person but how? This was a big question for me. About that time I read an article about Pushkar Shah, the legendary cyclist of Nepal. After reading the article, my problem was solved. The next day I purchased a bicycle and declared myself a cyclist. Today, I am very glad to say that many people contact us when they are turned away by the Red Cross Society. I can say firmly that for blood, people have more trust in our organization than Red Cross Society. In recent times, the Red Cross Society has been neck-deep in corruption and losing credibility for which once they were famous.  

 

To spread the message of blood donation and increase the number of members of our organization, I use bicycles. The bicycle has made it possible to travel to far-off places and meet with different people. Wherever I go I spread the message of blood donation.

 

Your name stands first among the Pokhara cyclists. You have traveled more on the bicycle than anyone in Pokhara. Am I right?

Well, I don’t claim to be the number one cyclist in Pokhara. I am not doing cycling to make any records or beat anyone. That is not my purpose in cycling. Actually, I go cycling to meet more people. So, I can educate them about the importance of blood donation. Unfortunately, our conservative society does not hold a positive attitude toward blood donation. They think that blood donation will cause them weakness and loss of energy. This is only a widespread myth. This is my mission to convince people that blood donation is a rather healthy practice. Look at me I have already donated my blood 67 times. I do regular cycling. Is there any sign of weakness in my body?


I have almost reached most of the popular destinations in the country. There are still a few places of great importance, that I will visit shortly.

 

Are you involved in any cycling-related association?

I’m the founder and erstwhile president of the Nepal Voluntary Blood Donor’s Society (NVBDS). I’m the 3rd Vice President of the Lion’s Club of Pokhara Mardi Himal and the chief blood coordinator. I am also an active member of the Kaski District Cycle Association (KDCA). This very association is devoted to promoting cycling among the youth.

LB Thapa is the publisher and editor of The Hemingway Post, a literary magazine. 

WANT TO REPRODUCE THIS INTERVIEW?
All rights reserved. All the articles and photos published in this blog are the copyright property of this blog. I allow articles and photos to be reproduced only for information and educational purposes. For that, you must mention the author and the blog's name. Blog: read2bhappy.blogspot.com. I would appreciate it if you inform me by sending an email to writerlbthapa@gmail.com

Comments

  1. Interesting article about a deserving person. Good work bhai. I liked your interview. Thanks to the writer as well.
    Thir Bahadur Gurung
    Dharan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview bro. Keep it up and God bless you.
    Ramesh Udash
    Damauli

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing great work. Cycling and blood donation. Both are great work.
    Keep it sir.
    Dipesh Bhandari
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this interview. You are doing nice work.
    Pramod Bastola
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poverty is the greatest teacher. It is due to poverty that today what you are. Great article and like the work of Tirtha Awasthi.
    Anjan Shrestha
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am the regular reader of this website. All articles published in this website are qualitative. I liked the interview with Tirtha Awasthi. He is a dedicated man. Great work. Continue.
    Sishir Baral
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank You So Much Everyone 😍

    #JayCycle 🚴‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hallo sir. Do you remember me? I met you near Damauli. You were on mountain bike. I read your interview. Very interesting, sir. You are a great cyclist.
    Ramesh Pariyar
    Damauli

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting article. I have read about Tirtha Awasthi in some media. Hope one day I will meet you.
    Binayak Giri
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. धेरै धेरै धन्यवाद बिनायक सर 😍

      Delete
  10. Oh, today by chance I read this blog post about you. Good to know about your life. Keep it up your great work. I liked your answers. Hope to meet you in future.
    Ashish Godar
    Hetauda, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashish sir thank you so much 😍

      #JayCycle 🚴‍♂️

      Delete
  11. Tirtha ji, your dedication to cycling is wonderful. God bless you. Do you know me, Tirtha ji. I met you in Beni at a hotel.
    Sandesh Prajapati
    Beni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namaste Hajur 😍
      Beni Hotel Yak 🚴‍♂️
      Sandesh Sir See you soon 🤘

      Delete
  12. Hello sir, after reading your interview I want to ask you one question. Please don't mind. What do you like more:Cycling or Blood donation related service. Don't say both.
    Binit Pokharel
    Sagarmatha Higher Secondary School
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Namaste Sir 🙏

      'If Cycling Is My Passion Than Blood Donation Is My Religion'😍

      Delete
    2. Ha, ha, very clever answer...but nice answer. Satisfied.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for your reply.
      Binit Pokharel
      Sagarmatha Higher Secondary school
      Pokhara

      Delete
  13. You are a living example of an honest social worker and a hard working man. I have already about you in The Rising Nepal and Food & Wine Magazine. Nepal needs more people like you.
    Dr. Rabindra Pokharel
    Kathmandu, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir, thank you so much for kind words 😍🚴‍♂️😍

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello dai, I like your work. Keep doing it.
    Meena Kaini
    Kushma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. धेरै धेरै धन्यवाद बैनी !🙏

      Delete
  16. I really enjoyed a lot by reading this article. Blood and cycling a nice combination.
    Shankar Koirala
    Chitwan, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  17. Badhai chh Tirthaji. Tapain ko interview padhen. Ramro lagyo. Keep continue your good work.
    Ghanasyam Ojha
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are living in Vietnam and doing work something you are doing there in your country. I am very glad to find your interview on this blog. We really appreciate your work in the field of blood donation related activities.

    Dustin Giang
    Ho Chi Minah City
    Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You So Much 😍

      'SIX SURPRISING HEALTH BENEFITS OF DONATING BLOOD'

      -Giving blood can reveal potential health problems !
      -Giving blood can reduce harmful iron stores !
      -Giving blood may lower your risk of suffering a heart attack !
      -Giving blood may reduce your risk of developing cancer !
      -Giving blood can help your liver stay healthy !

      “Donate Blood And Be The Reason For A Smile On Someone’s Face.”

      'If Cycling Is My Passion Than Blood Donation Is My Religion'

      'READ2BHAPPY'🙏

      Delete
  19. Amazing such a nice person

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless