Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

Prizma Kunwar is an emerging karate player from Pokhara. She has already won several medals and karate championships. Currently, Prizma prepares her IELTS & SAT at Miracle Institute, Pokhara. Photo: Read 2b happy. 
By LB THAPA 

Prizma Kunwar is yet another name in Pokhara who is a shining star in the national sporting firmament. She holds a Black Belt and her dedication and commitment to karate are simply overwhelming. 

Migrated from Baglung, Prizma Kunwar and her family now live in Pokhara permanently. Though she is only 18 years old, her achievement can surprise anyone. A gold medalist in the National Games, she has repeated this feat of success many times in both National and Regional sporting events.

 

It is her strong belief that Karate is the most effective barehanded fighting technique that is most suitable for girls to defend themselves from wayward miscreants.

 

The other day this scribe had an opportunity to talk with Prizma Kunwar, a national karate champion, who spoke at length about the importance of Karate to keep oneself physically fit and mentally alert. However, Kunwar did put special emphasis on karate for young girls. She thinks that all the girls studying in schools and colleges must learn karate to defend themselves.


Here you can read the full interview with Prizma Kunwar.

Hard work pays off. These shining medals and awards displayed here glorify Prizma's ability in the field of karate. 




You could have joined several other popular sports in the country, but you chose a tough sport, karate. What did encourage you to join Karate? 

I always liked physical activities. I would regularly go out for early morning workouts and my favorite place was of course Pokhara stadium. Only there did I see some young boys and girls practicing karate. Actually, my surprise knew no bounds when I saw how a thin-looking girl easily broke some tough objects with her single blow. It was something unbelievable to me. Therefore, the next moment I decided to learn karate at any cost... I wanted to become as strong as those karate girls were. After a little inquiry, I came to know about a karate-training center, which was being run inside the PN Campus premises, and I joined that Dojo.  

 

How was your feeling when you found yourself practicing karate at a Dojo for the first time?

I was speechless and overwhelmed because I always watched others practicing karate. However, this time I was not watching others in fact I was one of them. I was happy and much satisfied. In brief, I can say that I was full of enthusiasm and determined to attain a certain degree of success in the field of karate.

 

What is the name of the karate that you are practicing now? 

There are many popular forms of karate, which are being practiced around the world. Some of them are Goju-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu, Wado-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu, Kyokushin-kan, Shito-Ryu, Ashihara, Chito-Ryu, Enshin, and Kishimoto-di. The kind of karate I learn is Kyokushin-kan karate.

 

Could you tell us about your first karate contest?

Oh, yes, why not? I was still new to karate when I came to know about a religious fair at Dhungesanghu, Pokhara. Open karate competition is always held there in different weight categories. Out of curiosity, I participated in that contest. In fact, I could not win the championship but I was still happy because I was successful to give a tough fight to my contenders.  

 

Mostly it is seen in a society like ours where parents do not encourage their daughters to learn such games as martial art. What was the case with your parents? Did they support you?

My parents always supported me without any reservation. In fact, my parents were very happy when I broke the news that I wanted to join a karate Dojo. I can tell you how elated were my parents with the news. I’m proud of my parents because they have extended full support for me to practice karate.

 

Can you tell us about one of your tough fights where victory swayed all the time?

This has happened many times during contests. However, I can never forget one bout in my entire karate career where I was fighting against an opponent who was a gold medalist from the 7th National Games. She was Ambika Bhujel, a hugely experienced karate player. Actually, I stand nowhere against her tall reputation. I knew my opponent very well but I was not intimidated. However, I fought tooth and nail to win the bout. Three times the fight ended with a draw. In the fourth fight, anyone who draws the first score would be declared the winner. In order to draw an early point, my opponent hit me with a powerful Keagi (snap kick). However, I had already anticipated this attack. I dodged it successfully and launched a mawashi Geri (roundhouse kick) that perfectly landed on her side chin and I won the fight. Let me tell you that actually, I had not won the fight because of my skill and ability. My opponent was much better skilled and possessed vast experience---I stood nowhere against her experience and skill. Despite all that, I had won the fight and it was all due to my self-confidence and self-belief.

 




Being a girl there are many hurdles. By the way, how long can you stay active in karate?

Compared with boys girls have to go through more obstacles in life. They may be social, physical, and family-related issues. In a situation like this how long I will remain active in karate is something very difficult for me to say now. However, what I can say with confidence is that even though I may remain out of karate tournaments but I will continue karate practice forever. 

 

Don’t you think that those girls who have been actively involved in karate and winning medals should receive regular stipends?

You are right. The state should allocate a separate budget for this purpose. Regular financial support to committed karate players for both boys and girls will definitely encourage them to perform better in the future. 

 

How do you look at karate vis-à-vis girls?

Karate can be a choice for boys but it cannot be a choice for girls. Karate should be made compulsory for all girls throughout the country. Girls are being manhandled, abused, thrashed, and raped. Girls are the subject of such atrocities because they are unable to defend themselves. Compulsory karate training in schools and colleges will make our girls strong enough to defend themselves from any miscreants.

 

Would you like to say a few words about your Dojo and karate training?

The karate that I learn is called Kyokushin-kan Karate. It is being operated inside the premises of Prithvi Narayan Campus. We are being trained by sensei Nirmal KC. He is a hardworking Guru and all the students are very satisfied with his way of karate training. 

 



Would you like to share your future plan? 

Oh, sure. In the future, I would like to open a Dojo and give training to girls. I want to train all the girls so that they should be able to defend themselves.

 

If you have, any message to our readers of Read 2b happy.

Let’s start a campaign of giving karate training to all the girls across the country. These girls must be able to defend themselves. Otherwise, they will remain vulnerable and become easy targets of bad people. In addition, I would like to give my sincere thanks to Read 2b happy for showing interest in my art and giving me space in your blog. I am sure this interview will inspire many parents and girls to join the karate dojo and learn karate.

LB Thapa is a Pokhara-based freelance writer and author.

LEGAL WARNING

All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA.

Comments

  1. One of the toughest fighter, and yes of course a shining start. Good luck Prizma, from LC guru. Osu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much guru
      Ousss🙏❤️

      Delete
  2. Congratulations and you are truly an example for the young sisters who are interested in such field. Hoping for further success in your life 💯

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much sir🙏

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring interview. Have a great future ahead Prizma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You represent the Nepali women. Great work. Keep it up. I wish you all the success.
    Dipisha Karki
    Dharan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much❤️😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless