RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

Sita Thapa is a professional rafting and kayaking trainer of Nepal. Among five she is one of the pioneer woman rafters. Ms. Thapa is from Pokhara.   

Perhaps you might have seen some white-skinned Westerners sailing their rafts on the turbulent waves and battling against the deadly ripples, which can toss away their rafts at any moment. Well, let me help you to remember this scene---you must have seen all this on your TV screen. Am I right?    


Quite a few would have this opportunity to see these rafters entering into the water, setting up their gears, and finally getting ready to challenge the gushing waters. Unless you are a rafter himself, you can rarely catch a glimpse of these people from a close distance. Without any doubt, rafting is not an ordinary adventure sport like paragliding, bungee jumping, and parachute jumping---rafting is above all.

 

Muscular strength and perfect skill are a must. But if I tell you that there is a young and beautiful lash from Pokhara who does not only have enough strength to handle a raft, but she also possesses an extreme degree of courage and skill in rafting. Yes, you are right. I am talking about none other than Sita Thapa.

 

Why Sita Thapa is unique and what makes her so special are all that I will discuss in this article. In short, Sita Thapa is a nationally recognized rafter and kayaking trainer. She is one of five pioneer rafters of Nepal. There is hardly any river left in the country in which she has not rafted. Well, before I discuss her professional career, let us know about her childhood and some interesting facts about her life that might interest you for sure. After knowing all this and many more you will certainly agree with me that is why I call her special and unique.

 

“I was born at Lakeside, Pokhara and I also spent my childhood in Pokhara. Those who have seen me grow in the dusty meadows of Lakeside, know me very well. Because of my special nature and character, I have earned the name Tomboy of Pokhara”, said Sita and continued. “Of course, I am a girl but right from the day I have come to my consciousness, my interests and other activities are those of rowdy boys”.

You heard right. Right from her childhood, Sita would perform the most difficult tasks such as climbing the tallest mango trees and throwing ripened and crude mangoes for her friends, climbing mountains, and swimming across the Fewa Lake. Such activities were normal for her. As she had grown up to be a teenager, she had already become the best swimmer in the locality. Forget girls even no man could challenge her in swimming. Such was her stamina, courage, and reputation.

 

“Whether it is boating or swimming no one could accept my challenge. I could easily defeat anyone. As far as physical strength was concerned, I would always challenge boys of my age and I would invariably defeat them,” said Sita with a sense of confidence.

 

When asked how she happened to take an interest in rafting, she said, “Actually, near my house, there was a newly opened rafting company. I used to see many foreigners coming and going to Fewa Lake and Seti River. Sometimes I followed them to Fewa Lake and saw them practicing rafting and kayaking. I liked what they were doing because rafting and kayaking were different from normal boating which I was familiar with”.

 

There was a foreign woman named Inka who was married to a Nepali man and settled in Pokhara. She agreed to teach the basics of rafting and kayaking to Sita. 

“She was surprised at seeing my progress. I had learned all the basic to intermediate-level rafting and kayaking skills merely in a week. This would otherwise need a minimum of six months to complete the course”, added Sita with a mysterious smile across her face.

 

Later, Sita continued her practice with different rafting and kayaking companies and honed her skills. Her deep interest in rafting and kayaking took her to complete a professional rafting and kayaking course.

 

“I have already completed all necessary training and courses mandatory to become a certified rafting and kayaking trainer. I have been attached to a rafting company for the last couple of years. I regularly visit Japan where I work as a guide cum rafting and kayaking trainer”.

When Sita was satisfied with her performance and opportunities as a rafter and a kayaking trainer, she realized that many countries have both men's and women’s rafting and kayaking teams but Nepal did not have even a single women rafting team.

 

“I used to feel quite awkward when many women asked me how I became a rafting and kayaking trainer when there is not a single woman rafting or a kayaking team in Nepal. This was truly a genuine question, but I had no answer to this question. Then I decided to form a strong women’s rafting and kayaking team in Nepal”, said Sita Thapa convincingly.

 

There is always a vast difference between thinking and bringing those thoughts into reality. Because real problem always begins when we try to translate our dreams into reality. Sita Thapa had to face all those challenges, which were waiting for her. It was definitely not going to be easy for her to form a women’s rafting team. But Sita was adamant, undeterred, and unfazed.

 

She was not among those people who would easily be intimidated or give in. Her Tomboy spirit would always push her to cross the threshold and do some amazing and unimaginable things.

 

When she started working on her idea of forming a women's rafting and kayaking team, she had not anticipated so much difficulty she would face. Anyway, she was determined to achieve what she had decided to do.

 

After a few days of wire pulling, she firmly understood that this was a mega task and she could not achieve it alone. She needed much help from the like-minded people around her. First, she tried to reach out to her acquaintances who are devoted to rafting and kayaking.

 

“Not only in Pokhara but also the entire Kaski district I found no girl who was skilled in rafting and kayaking. But I continued searching across the country. Finally, my hard work paid off. I found four girls who were equally devoted to rafting and kayaking one like me. They were Anu Shrestha, Kathmandu, Akriti Khapangi, Udaypur, Sushma Kateth, Sunsari, Sudha Rai, Khotang”, revealed Sita.

Including Sita Thapa, they had a team of five professional rafters and kayakers. “We were very excited and happy after meeting with each other. We were glad for an obvious reason we had taken rafting and kayaking as a profession. Rafting and kayaking were not our pastime activities. We sought a career in rafting and kayaking and we were, to some extent, highly successful as well. Until now, we are the only five professional female rafters and kayakers in the country. Thus, we have taken the responsibility of promoting rafting and kayaking among the females and encourage them to take rafting and kayaking as a profession rather than a pastime adventure activity”. 

 

As soon as the women of five planned to give rafting and kayaking training to new girls, they realized a mountain of obstacles before them. They needed rafting and kayaking gear and new girls would need special clothes, which were too expensive.

 

“Most of the girls who showed interest in rafting and kayaking were not from rich families. Almost all of them were from middle-class or lower-middle-class families. They had an intense desire to learn rafting and kayaking but what they lacked was money. In the beginning, we even purchased some clothes for those girls who were talented but financially very weak. However, financially we were also not that strong. Though we are trying different things at a time to raise funds, we are still on the receiving end, we have not lost hope”, said Sita Thapa enthusiastically. 

In the initial time, they tried to reach out to different tourism-related government offices, but their efforts bore no fruit. “We are neither affiliated to any political party nor do we have money to bribe. In a situation like this, who would listen to us? Thus, our pleas merely fell on deaf ears. We, then, decided to work on our own. We ask for help from rafting and kayaking companies. In addition, we follow different activities to raise funds. We also have an organization called Project Life Trek. Anu Shrestha is the founder and president of this organization. Among others, the main purpose of this organization is to raise funds. So that we can use the fund for purchasing rafting and kayaking gears, dresses, and miscellaneous expenses”.

At present, Sita Thapa and her four female rafting and kayaking trainers are busy in the tranquil water of Fewa Lake where they are giving rafting and kayaking training to four young girls. Sita said that first new girls are taught basic things about rafting and kayaking in Fewa Lake before they are taken to the fast-flowing river where they have to test their skills. 

 

We are proud of Sita Thapa who is a pioneer female rafter and kayaker of Nepal. It is a matter of pride for all Pokhareli people for what Sita is doing. Her work is completely selfless and a matter of national pride and honor. If this is what she is doing then why did Pokhara Tourism Council (PTC) and Nepal Tourism Board (NTB) have turned blind eyes to the activities of Sita Thapa and four other rafters and kayakers? This is a question that every sane Pokhareli wants to know from the concerned tourism authority of the country today.  

LB Thapa is the publisher and editor of The Hemingway Post, a literary magazine.

LEGAL WARNING

All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA.

Comments

  1. Very nice article. Very knowledgeable. You are doing a very good work, sita.
    Professor Dipak Paudel
    Butwal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for supporting❤️

      Delete
    2. You are so impressive sister

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. You have inspired me. Now I'm also thinking to take interest in rafting. One time i will meet you.
    Dristi Gurung
    Besisahar, Lamjung

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much❤️
      surely we will meet

      Delete
  3. You are the pride of Nepal. You are making Nepal known in the world. Very nice work. Keep it up dear Sita.
    Sandip Timilsena
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear sister, I'm surprised to know about you. I congratulate to writer who wrote about such a brilliant person. Please accept my congratulations, this is for you Sita. We will support you. You are not alone.
    Kabindra Bhattarai
    Lamachaur, Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️Thank you so much for your support

      Delete
  5. You are the best rafter and you are also the most beautiful girl of Nepal. You look better than all Nepali heroines. God bless you. Have good health and make steady progress.
    Bhim Gurung
    London, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️Thank you so much.
      And keep supporting

      Delete
  6. Hi, Sita didi, now i'm in Singapore. very soon i will come to Pokhara and meet you.
    Priti Gurung
    Singapore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sure we will meet❤️

      Delete
  7. Very nice article about such an important person. I'm very happy to know about Sita Thapa. You are making us proud.
    Bishal Thapa
    Chhetri Samaj Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the pride of Pokhara. You are a brave girl. I'm surprised why local government is not helping you. This is not good.
    Anup Shrestha
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️I am glad thanks to you and @LB Thapa and many more for supporting me🌹

      Delete
  9. You are very talented girl. You will definitely progress. We must support you.
    Dipesh Magar
    Butwal, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much keep supporting cause i need it😁❤️

      Delete
  10. Sita baini namaskar. My daughter wants to learn rafting for fun and knowledge. Do you have an office? Where should we contact you in Pokhara? I also live in Pokhara.
    Sarita Timilsina
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Work :):)
    Hope to see more female rafters in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good interview. Please keep on writing such articles. This is the best article about the best person. We are in support of you.
    Ghanasyam Ojha
    Biratnagar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know about female rafters in Nepal. I will definitely come to Pokhara to join you. I had been to Pokhara some three years ago, I mean right before the Corona pandemic. I did paragliding and bungee jumping. Now I will come to Pokhara in September this year and I will contact you for the rafting.
    Archana Gupta
    New Delhi, India

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      you are heartly welcome we will meet soon❤️

      Delete
  14. Namaste from Birmingham UK
    Nice to read about you. I'm also from Pokhara now living in the UK. I appreciate your hard work. We support you. You will succeed. Sure...
    Ravindra Gurung
    Birmingham, UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear about that thank you for supporting ❤️

      Delete
  15. I will talk with some people here who are interested in the promotion of rafting in Nepal. They will help your cause. Keep continue your work.
    Abhisekh Budhathoki
    California, USA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to read about you. I met you once in Kathmandu. Maybe you have forgotten me.
    Rita Gurung
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      sorry i kinda forgot are you connected with me in facebook

      Delete
  17. We are encouraged by you. We respect you very much. We have a team of swimmers in Nepalganj.
    Sushmita Gurung
    Nepalganj, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much nice to hear about you and your team keep going on❤️

      Delete
  18. Today by chance I happened to see this blog. As its name is READ 2B HAPPY, now I'm really happy after reading an article about Sita Thapa. I would like to appreciate the girl for making our country proud. But unfortunately the country is not doing anything to her. This time all bad people get promotion and all kinds of help in Nepal but good people one like Sita Thapa get no help. This is our new Nepal. That's why I like old Nepal.
    Chhabilal Bohara
    Dubai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support...❤️

      Delete
  19. Amazing. I know rafting is a very tough adventure sports. I know it because I'm also a rafter from Belgium. I have been to Nepal for the rafting. My best wishes to Sita Thapa. I know corruption is the only enemy of good sporting persons one like you. Don't worry you will succeed.
    Thomas Zeroksikinov
    Belgium

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ❤️Thank you i hope everything will go in right way

      Delete
  20. You are so impressive sister 💝 hope to see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are doing good work. God bless you sita sister.
    Roshan Thakuri
    Butwal, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are brave and beautiful. God has given you both. You are a very lucky girl. Always smile...
    Ananda Raj Mulmi
    Originally from Pokhara but I'm living in the US for 14 years
    New York, USA

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree with the comment made by Ananda Raj Mulmi from New York. You are really brave and beautiful.
    Sabitri Khanal
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much ❤️ for all *he support

      Delete
  24. Hello did, please do not practice a few days because it is too cold and you see too much ashina khaseko pokharama. Chiso lagla hai.
    Silu Shrestha
    class 8 Global Collegiate Higher secondary school
    Pokhara
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much ❤️ 😂dheraii khushi lagyo tmro care dekhda love you bunu❤️🌹

      Delete
  25. Oh, no, Didi lekheko 'did'bhayechh. sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello, Sita Didi, in one photo you look like Kajol. 100% you look like Kajol. You are so cute and beautiful, didi. I and my friends love you so much.
    Silu Shrestha
    Class 8
    Global Collegiate Higher secondary school
    Pokhara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much 😊😂❤️ Study hard

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sita, Didi.
      Silu Shrestha

      Delete
  27. Rafting is a very tough sports that's why there are a few women in this sports. You are really a very strong girl and you have proved your strength. I'm also a rafter from Israel but now I'm in London. I regularly visit Nepal, but this time I will also visit Pokhara and meet you dear.
    Maria
    London, UK
    but originally from Telaviv, Israel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to know that your are also a rafter ❤️
      And i am also happy to know that you also support girls .
      why not offcourse i hope we will meet so soon ❤️
      Ones again thank you so much

      Delete
  28. I agree with Silu Shrestha. I once again looked at all your photos but one photo is just looked like a photo of Kajol. You really look like same as Kajol in the photo. This is my second comment for you.
    Archana Gupta
    New Delhi, India

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      i think you are also beautiful than me and same to u miss you❤️

      Delete
  29. All the success to you sister. You are not only doing hard work but rafting is also very risky adventure sports. You should be very careful.
    Laxman Sunar
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      yes i am doing very risky adventure but there is fun too❤️

      Delete
  30. Great to hear dd keep going on we are always here for you❤

    ReplyDelete
  31. So brave girl. Really wonderful.
    Namita Koirala
    Kathmandu, Nepal

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello Sita Didi, you have not replied my question. I am waiting for your answer. Please answer to my question.
    Silu Shrestha
    I'm your number one fan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glade to hear that you are my number one fan thankyou so much

      Delete
    2. sorry i am very busy at my rafting champaimship practice
      And i have given you reply❤️

      Delete
  33. Very nice to read about you. Best of luck.
    Dhan Gurung
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for giving me best wishes ❤️

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much❤️

      Delete
  34. Come to Sweden. You will have more opportunities here. I think Sweden is the best country for you to grow.
    Maria Lacusta
    Sweden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already visit sweden so i know your country its beautifull i vist at dalda flodwa i have already done there refting and kiking it was very nice
      so i have many frends and my instructet is also from sweden
      If i have a great chance to come in sweden than offcouse i will come there❤️

      Delete
  35. Good to know about your life and mission. You are making Nepalese girl known to the world. I'm also a rafter and kayaker from Oslo. I have already rafted and did little kayaking into the Trishuli and Bhotekoshi rivers. Nice to know about you through this blog. This is my favorite blog. I read it regularly.
    David Ojwando
    Oslo, Norway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much to know about my life .❤️ i am also happy and proud to know that you are also a rafting guide if there is any posible to come in nepal in future than meet me ❤️

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for knowing about my life i am doing hard works in my life keep supporting me ❤️

      Delete
  36. I think your eyes are beautiful
    thats why you look me like kajol ❤️
    by the way thankyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much❤️❤️🌹🌹

      Delete
  37. Namaste aunty!
    I am glad to hear to that you have done a great work.this is the good work done in our whole family and I am your relative.
    Unika karki
    Class:5
    Pokhara cambridge english school❤

    ReplyDelete
  38. Best of luck for good training in Trishuli River. Take care of yourself.
    Laxmi Shrestha
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much sister ❤️😊🌹

      Delete
  39. Sita ji, you are so cute and beautiful. God has given you so much beauty. I have a daughter now she is only two years old. I think my daughter also looks very much like you. I wish you all the success in your personal and professional career. God bless you.
    Balaram Shrestha
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for support.me 🙏❤️😊

      Delete
    2. thank you so much.for support me🙏❤️😊

      Delete
  40. Dherai ramro kam gardai hunuhunchh nani. Tapain harulai hamai sabai deshbasi haruko support chh.
    Rishiram Baral
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much dai... its all have been possible with your supoort..

      Delete
  41. Chhoriharulai sahasik kam gari rakheko ma badhai chh. Himmat na harnus.
    Hari Bhakta Sapkota
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      keep supporting ❤️

      Delete
  42. Very interesting and courageous work. Great sister. Keep it up.
    Vivek Rana
    Dharan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you brother ❤️
      Keep supporting

      Delete
  43. God bless you sister. I pray to god for your success. You are the pride of Nepal.
    Ananta Sharma
    Lecturer Shankar Dev Campus
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      for your prayer care and support

      Delete
  44. Thank you so much for your prayer and support
    keep supporting ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  45. Amazing determination. You girls are great. We will come to Nepal and meet you in October. Especially, we will meet you.
    Patricia and friends
    Finland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you
      that's great you can contact me ❤️

      Delete
  46. You look very different. I mean your personality and self confidence they are different and that's why you are different.

    Bhuwan Thapa, Lecturer
    Butwal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm....Thank you so much for your care❣️

      Delete
  47. Best of luck sister. I wish you all the best for your professional career.

    Prakash Thapa
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support...❣️

      Delete
  48. I am so surprised to read about you. I was 100% sure that no Nepali women can do rafting because it needs too much strength, skill and courage. But you have all. I am really so happy to read this article about you. Thank you sister, keep going...

    Binod Basnyat, student
    California State University, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😅i been doing it from 2007...
      thank you so much for your support❤️

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your support love and care

      Delete
  49. You are the real woman power of Nepal. I give you special thanks on woman's day. Why not Nepal government supporting your effort. I feel really bad.
    Well, Binod and I study together and we are also from Pokhara.

    Ritesh Karki, student
    California State University, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much that means a lot study well❤️

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your support i have also raise my voice against government and i been planning to open kayak school in pokhara if government helped me then i be so happy.....

      Delete
  50. Have a safe journey ❣️ enjoy your life and may you get sucessed in your life may you achieve your goals all the best take care of yourself too
    Samir Thapa
    Shree srijana secondary school
    Pokhara ❣️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for support me.❤️❤️

      Delete
  51. I'm writing this comment from Dharan. I'm a regular reader of this blog. I and my friends like swimming very much. Maybe this is the reason we want to read all your rafting and kayaking activities. We are waiting to read one more article about your rafting and kayaking activity. Thank you very much.

    Ritesh Rana
    Dharan college of Management
    Dharan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much
      i am planning to run kayak training school very soon you can join if you want too

      Delete
    2. Im very happy that you read my article and every work i have done you have known about it. please always support my activities

      Delete
  52. Thank you so much for your love care and support its so nice to hear that you liked my story

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thank you so much for everyone supporting my sister. She has been struggling many years. Even though it's late,i want to thank the sir who write this article for her.i feel very proud to say that she's my sister.Best wishes to her. Meena thapa from sedi. Currently studying la grande international college. Level bachelor 3rd semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my lovely sister. Miss you so much ❤️

      Delete
  54. Namaste.I read this article and its very beautiful and inspiring ❤being a girl she has been doing very well. Im so proud of my daughter. Its a difficult work but she's doing better and being successful in her work. She's doing everything to represent our family. Thankyou from our family side. Thapa family will always support her. We feel very proud for having such a hardworking daughter.Not only us,the people around the world whoever supporting her.Everyone who have commented in her article Thankyou so much. Keep supporting her. Goma Thapa. Nirvana base camp from sedi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much aunty. I feel proud that my family always support me❤️🙏

      Delete
  55. Im proud to say that she's my sister. Looking at her i can learn many things. She never miss a chance to make me feel proud. As her brother i have seen her facing difficult time and how she had face and how she overcome it. She always put a smile in her face and give 100% in her work. She has managed the work life balance.Thank you sir who have spent their time writing this article 🙏 there's more to go. Keep on working my sister. All the best.
    Pariwartan Thapa from sedi. Studies at 7 class. Fewa secondary boarding school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you vai for support me🙏

      Delete
  56. You are amazing sister. You have really proved that a girl is capable to do what a man can do. Our well wishes are always with you. Have success and healthy life.

    Rajendra Basnet and friends
    California, USA

    ReplyDelete
  57. thank you so much 🙏❤️

    ReplyDelete
  58. We are the girls from Sri Lanka. We also don't have female rafting team in our country. We have interest in rafting. After reading about you, we are really very encouraged. Now we will also work very hard to form one women's rafting team in Sri Lanka. Best of luck.

    Denavaka Ekanayake
    Dulekha Kekunawela
    Jeeva Rani
    Gemini Iddamalgoda

    ReplyDelete
  59. Thank you so much for you heartly message.....that's great to hear about your work if you ever planned to visit Nepal you can contact me ❤️as u like


    Again thank you for your love care and support

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless