THE BRITISH GORKA BAJE: A NEPALI AT HEART

By LB THAPA

His love for Nepal is incredible. A man who is British by birth but at heart, he is more Nepali. He has spent most of his life among the Nepalese and when he was in the armed force, he stood along with the Gurkhas and fought the Second World War. After his retirement, he chose to live among the Gurkhas, and for that, he even renounced the natural citizenship of his country Great Britain.  

He lives at Naya Gaon, Pokhara with his adopted son Buddhiman Gurung Dhampu. His peaceful residence is hardly 5-6 km away from Mahendrapool. The local Pokhareli people fondly call him Gorkha Baje. He is a 97-year-old young man. Yes, a young man! If you meet him only then will you understand why he should be called a young man at 97. He is physically active and mentally alert. 

His memory at this age is simply unbelievable. He can tell you every single incident of his life with precision. In brief, he is a man of statistics. Want to know who he is! He is none other than retired Lt. Colonel John Phillip Cross or JP Cross. After a long and agonizing wait, finally, the Nepali government granted him Nepali citizenship on 15 November 2014. 

Residence of Lt. Colonel JP Cross at Naya Gaon-15 Pokhara. Photo: LB Thapa

“I left Britain for 78 years now. Long ago, I had applied for Nepali citizenship; but after 32 years-long waits, finally, the government of Nepal granted me Nepali citizenship. During these years when I was living without Nepali citizenship, I was still a Nepali at heart. During my struggle to get Nepali citizenship, I was even asked for a bribe to get citizenship immediately but I refused. Because I knew I deserved Nepali citizenship and why not? I am more a Nepali at heart than a British by birth. Today I feel proud to be a Nepali,” said Lt. Colonel JP Cross in his impeccable Nepali. 

Photo: LB Thapa

JP Cross lived and worked with the Nepali people for the last 72 years or more. He has always been a great admirer of Nepali art, culture, and literature. His love for the Nepali language took him to Tribhuvan University where he studied Nepali literature and finally obtained a Master’s degree in Nepali literature in 1981. JP Cross is also a voracious reader and a prolific writer. He has authored about 17 books. Most of the books he has written are about military warfare and Nepal. His books are famous for in-depth analysis, simplicity, and erudition.  

Colonel JP Cross holds a book "The Pokhara Valley: A Traveler's Guide" authored by LB Thapaat at a Book Launch program in Pokhara. The publisher of the book, RD Sharma, a renowned writer and poet, was also present at the program. Photo: Read 2b happy.  

JP Cross was born in 1925 in London, England. At the age of 17, JP Cross joined the British Army on 2 April 1943. Due to the Second World War, it was then compulsory to undergo military service for every youth in England. JP Cross was posted to Dehradoon, India to join the 1st Battalion of the 1st Gurkha Rifle. After a tedious sea journey, he took to train and then a bus to reach Dehradoon. In Dehradoon he was among the brave soldiers of 1st Gurkha Rifle. 

“It was my first experience to meet Gurkhas in Dehradoon. I found Gurkhas honest, loyal, and extremely brave. I was very much impressed with the Gurkhas. One more quality I did observe of Gurkhas. They were very simple and always ready to accept a friendly hand extended towards them. In addition, the Gurkhas were the backbone of the British Indian army,” disclosed Lt. Colonel Cross. 

Colonel JP Cross launched the book "The Pokhara Valley: A Traveler's Guide" published by Nirala Publications, New Delhi, India. 

During the Second World War, JP Cross and his platoon were sent to Burma and Malaya. JP Cross spent nearly 20 years in Malaya and Borneo region. Then Borneo was under the control of the Japanese. Later allied forces especially American and Australian soldiers launched an offensive against the Japanese and defeated them. However, the Second World War was over, but there was still some pocket resistance in Borneo. The 1st Gurkha Rifle was actively involved in neutralizing the insurgents and brought peace and harmony to the country. It was an extremely tough time for the Gurkha soldiers in Malaya and Borneo. 

Lt. Colonel JP Cross at his library. Photo: Provided by Lt. Colonel JP Cross 

“Our platoon fought hard against the local insurgents and defeated them. During that time, Gurkhas and I always fought together against the insurgents. While fighting against the insurgents, I saw how fearless the Gurkhas were. These people know no fear. I am convinced about the Gurkhas who are born warriors. I am glad to have stood shoulder to shoulder with the Gurkhas and fought the Second World War,” praised JP Cross. 

After serving in the army for 39 years, JP Cross retired at the rank of Lt. Colonel. He was living in London but his heart was with the Gurkhas. In 1947, Shree 3 Padma Shamsher Rana invited Lt. Colonel JP Cross to Nepal. He immediately accepted the invitation and came to Nepal. 

After having seen the pristine natural beauty of Nepal, JP Cross decided to make Nepal his home. “I was already impressed with the brave Gurkhas but when I saw the amazing stock of natural beauty of Nepal, I was stunned. I then decided to make Nepal my new home for the rest of my life,” added JP Cross. 

Even after retirement, he refused to spend a retired life as many soldiers actually do. He was very eager to see Nepal with his eyes. Therefore, he walked on his foot across the 65 districts of Nepal. “I wanted to see a real Nepal because a real Nepal lives in the villages. That is why I decided to walk on foot to villages. 

By the time, I did stop my journey I had already walked over 16,000km and traveled 65 districts out of 75. While traveling I had opportunities to see and learn many things including Nepal’s terrain and geography. I also met with many soldiers who were in my platoon; some of them were recruited by me as well. When I was Gurkha recruiting officer in Pokhara, I had recruited 2148 young Gurkha boys for the British Gurkha regiments,” said JP Cross.   

Books authored by Lt. Colonel J.P CROSS






JP Cross is a lifelong bachelor. He never married in his life. It is a matter of curiosity for many people to know exactly why JP Cross did not marry and chose to live as a bachelor. Upon this, JP Cross burst into laughter and said: “This is the question perhaps many people have asked me before. Actually, I am not against marriage. 

If I am not married, it does not mean that I do propagate the philosophy of celibacy. I think it was not in my fate to get married because about four or five times I almost got married, but every time something unexpected happened, the marriage was either postponed or canceled. Later, I thought life could also be lived without marriage and rest is the history”.      

JP Cross is also engaged in various social and humanitarian activities. He is a well-known philanthropist in Pokhara. He has provided financial aid to schools in Kaski and Lamjung. JP Cross stood in the front and helped the people of Eastern Nepal with relief materials when acute famine crippled their lives in 2008. He also helped earthquake victims of Lamjung, Gorkha, and Sindhupalchowk.   

JP Cross has assisted in promoting local sporting events, especially girls' volleyball tournaments. He has also built some quarters for the elderly people at the Pokhara Old Age Home at Sita Paila, Pokhara. Without a doubt, JP Cross does love Nepal very much. However, it is also true that Nepali people in general, and Pokhareli people, in particular, love him even more. Long live, JP Cross. 

LB Thapa with Lt. Colonel JP Cross at his residence in Pokhara. Photo: Read 2b Happy.

LEGAL WARNING

All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA.

Comments

  1. Good to see you John. Even at 97 you are going strong. You defeated Corona.

    David
    Your old friend
    Birmingham, England

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really very impressed with JP Cross' personality and his love for Nepal is great.

    Bikash Shrestha
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  3. At a time when all Nepalese want to go abroad and settle down there, Colonel JP Cross chose Nepal to live.

    Ananda Khadka
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true gentleman. We Nepalese are honored by your choice of finding Nepal to live in. You could have gone to your country or elsewhere. But you chose Nepal. Thank you Lt. Colonel.

    Captain Ram Bahadur Gurung
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice article. I am a regular reader of this blog. I like your writing style. You bring a variety in your writing.

    Anisha Gurung
    Kathmandu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anisha for finding my article interesting. I am really encouraged.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless