I BELIEVE IN HARD WORK AND CAREFUL PLANNING: KRIPA GURUNG

Kularaj Baral, the Managing Director of Miracle Institute facilitates Kripa Gurung with a copper-plated letter of appreciation on scoring 107 in the TOEFL examination. Photo: LB Thapa
 

Kripa Gurung scors 107 in TOEFL

Kripa has scored 25/30 in Reading; 28/30 in Listening; 26/30 in Speaking; 28/30 in Writing.  

“I don’t keep a mobile phone, because I never felt it was necessary for me” says Kripa

By LB THAPA 

Right from her school time, Kripa Gurung has always been a meritorious student. She had scored 86.88% in the SLC examination. After then she joined Global Collegiate Higher Secondary School and only this year she passed +2 in the science stream with 65%. Several medals, certificates, and felicitations under her belt are testimony to the fact that Kripa Gurung is a student of a different league.  

Unassuming but largely outspoken and straightforward by nature, Kripa has some traits in her personality which make her different in the crowd. Kripa is a voracious reader. She devours classic literature to modern fiction. She believes that it is her regular reading habit that helped her to achieve such a glorious feat of success in TOEFL. 

Aspiring to study computer science in the USA, but she has a strong liking for journalism as well. The other day LB Thapa had an opportunity to interview with Kripa Gurung, who spoke at length about her preparation and success in the TOEFL examination. Excerpt. 


Congratulations on scoring 107 in the TOEFL examination. You have done something very remarkable. How do you feel now?

Thank you very much. I feel like I have reached the peak of Mt. Everest. I got into the TOEFL exam quite seriously, because it was my dream to score impressive marks. I am really very glad because eventually, my dream has turned into reality. And finally, the result was published and I did achieve what I had expected. 

TOEFL is a prerequisite for study abroad. What was your experience?

Those students who aspire to study abroad must have to do TOEFL or IELTS. Nowadays many universities and colleges accept both tests scores. But I want to advise the students to do TOEFL to study in the USA. Though there are many colleges and universities which accept IELTS test scores, there are still a handful of colleges and universities which do not accept IELTS test scores. However, the IELTS score is perfectly alright for Australia, UK, Ireland and New Zealand. 

Which subject in TOEFL did you find little bit challenging?

Let me tell you frankly that I never take any subject in a challenging manner. I always value every subject with due respect. Throughout my study period, I have never treated any subject like a burden. I always tried my best to learn something new from the subject I had to study. However, one thing I want to make clear that TOEFL is not meant for average students. TOEFL is an advanced subject and therefore careful planning is required. 

You have made your dream come true. What is the key to success?

My key to success is hard work and careful planning. I work hard but one thing that we should keep in mind that only hard work is not enough. Careful planning is more important because without careful planning only hard work cannot take us to success. 

Could you tell us that how did you plan each subject?

Sure! For the preparation of Reading my reading habit helped me a lot. Ever since I was in class eight, I took interest in reading novels. Thereafter I began reading newspapers and magazines on regular basis. My reading habit helped me to score more marks in Reading and Writing as well. When I was a school student, I would love to conduct programs and never miss a chance to participate in debate competitions. Such practice helped me to speak without hesitation in public. For the TOEFL listening, I did very hard work. I had finished all the books I was given for the practice. I practiced a lot on the internet as well. 

You are from the science stream. What subject do you want to study abroad?

Being a science major, I have planned to study computer science. But at the same time, I have a penchant for journalism. I am really in dilemma and not being able to decide whether to study computer science or journalism. I think I will study computer science but continue to hone my skill in journalism. 

It is evident that many times even bright students fail to score good marks in TOEFL. What could be the reason from your point of view?

Yes, this is true. I have seen some brilliant friends of mine performed poorly in the TOEFL exam. That was really quite unexpected. However, I think this is all due to underconfidence and overconfidence syndrome. We should keep our self-esteem high, but this should not inflate our confidence out of proportion. In reality, both underconfidence and overconfidence paralyze our cognitive skills. As a result, despite our best capability we happen to perform poorly. 

How was your experience at the Miracle Institute?

Actually, a friend of mine had recommended me to join Miracle Institute for my TOEFL preparation. I want to admit that I have got more than I had expected from this institution. We had plenty of materials for the practice. Our classes were regular and there were tests every weekend. Weak students are also allowed to take extra classes. Due to the regular weekly test of TOEFL, my confidence level was already high. Moreover, I want to give special thanks to our TOEFL teacher who taught us very well. It was his constant support and good teaching that I could score well. 

What are your parting words for the TOEFL aspirants?

I think I have missed one very important thing to tell about the TOEFL. In the examination, time management is very important. Under my teacher’s guidance, I had practiced it very well. Don’t be deceived by short time speaking like 45 seconds and 60 seconds. Combining the reading text and the listening audio to speak in 60 seconds is extremely tough. Along with rigorous preparation, mental strength is also important to perform well in the TOEFL examination. 

It seems that your scintillating success in the TOEFL is a perfect gift of Dasain. What do you think?   

Oh, certainly. You can say this, but nowadays I am preparing for my SAT examination. I expect a good score on SAT as well. Thereafter, I want to apply for a good university with a scholarship. In the meantime, I want to wish a happy Dasain to all my friends, staff, and teachers at the Miracle Institute.  

Thank you very much for reading this article. I hope you liked this article. I will be glad if you take a little time and make a comment about this article. Your comment is highly appreciated.

LEGAL WARNING

All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless