REMINISCENCE OF OUR PET DOG

Once upon a time, there was a 'Shepherd'

The memory of our pet dog. Photo: LB Thapa

By LB THAPA

Shepherd, our family dog, had spent 12 years with us. Then one morning he died peacefully in the arms of my wife. We always treated him like one of the family members. He was truly an amazing dog. His personality traits had made him special from other dogs. He was so gentle, obedient, and dutiful that we always trusted him and he invariably proved his salt. We would always speak with him as we speak with other family members because he would understand our language and respond promptly.

Ever since my son got into his conscience, his penchant for dogs became evident. He could not see a hungry dog on the street and he would try to feed him whatever he had. In fact, I always appreciated his love for dogs.

When my son was 11-year old, one day without our knowledge, he brought a tiny puppy from his friend’s house. The puppy's mother was a German shepherd, so I called the puppy, Shepherd…my son liked the name. He held the tiny puppy with care and his happiness knew no bounds.   

Just opposite to my son's nature, my wife never liked pet animals. No sooner had my son brought Shepherd home, than my wife began shouting at him. She asked him to return the puppy right away. However, my son was adamant. He refused to return the puppy back to its mother. Then, my wife snatched the puppy from his hands and returned the puppy from where the puppy was brought. My son wept profusely and refused to take his meals. His nonviolent protest proved effective and eventually, my wife gave in and Shepherd was welcomed.
My son and his lovely friend Shepard. Photo: LB Thapa

Shepherd as a puppy. Photo: LB Thapa
Looking at this photo one can understand the bond of love between my son and the puppy. Photo: LB Thapa
My son did arrange a birthday party for Shepherd. 
Shepard stands along with my wife. Photo: LB Thapa 
A sad moment. Shepard died peacefully in the lap of my wife. My son remained shocked and perplexed for several days. Photo: LB Thapa
My son is digging the earth to bury the dead body of Shepard. Photo: LB Thapa  
For the first two months, my wife disliked the puppy. Nevertheless, later she started liking him; because he was not an ordinary dog like others. He was exceptionally intelligent, loving, and cute. He would understand our language and his response was astonishing.

One thing I would like to mention about his unique character. Whenever he was sick, we would call a veterinary doctor for his treatment. The doctor would give medicine and tell us how those tablets should be crushed into powder and mixed with dog foods to feed the dog. However, my wife did not need to do all that to feed him those bitter tablets. She would open his jaws and put tablets directly into his mouth and put some water in his mouth. Shepherd would then gulp down those bitter tablets without any resistance.

When my son had brought Shepherd home, he was merely 12-year old. My son and shepherd grew together. They would spend most of the time playing together on the rooftop. Shepherd loved playing football with my son. Their love for each other was incredible.

My son’s school was hardly 200m away from our house. One early morning while going to school, some wayward boys teased my son. Then what, the next day Shepherd was walking with my son as his bodyguard. Thereafter those bad boys were nowhere to be seen. Shepherd would regularly walk with my son until the school gate and return home. This became the daily routine of Shepherd until my son completed +2 from Global Collegiate Higher Secondary School, Pokhara. 
  
When Shepherd was one year old, my son wanted to celebrate his first birthday with much fanfare…we agreed. I brought a cake from Mahendrapool and there was a small program at home. My son cut the cake into small pieces and fed one to Shepherd. Today when we see those photographs of Shepherd's first birthday, our eyes moistened with tears.

He was sick for the last few days. We called a veterinary doctor, who gave him three injections and said he would be all right in a few days. We were waiting for his recovery, but his health further plummeted. Early morning on the day of the Holi festival, we opened the main door of the house and saw Shepherd lying at the door helplessly. He was unable to stand on his feet. We took him to the roof of the house so that he could feel better.

He made one more attempt to get on his feet, but his efforts were in vain. He looked helplessly at my wife for the last time and breathed his last. I stayed with Shepherd meanwhile my wife informed my son about the sudden demise of Shepherd.

It was a massive blow to my son. He could never believe that his beloved Shepherd could die. My son frantically attempted to wake to shepherd up, but we knew Shepherd had left us forever. My son was confused at the death of Shepherd. He thought Shepherd would always remain with him as his best friend. It was really very difficult for him to accept the fact that his beloved friend Shepherd was no more. My son mourned over the death of Shepherd for months. It was very difficult for us to console him. I knew my son always treated Shepherd like his brother. I am sure he is not going to forget him for the rest of his life.

We miss shepherd. We love him so much that he will always remain alive in our memory. We pray to the almighty God for taking care of his soul and giving him a place in heaven. 

I sat beside the body of our beloved Shepard. It was too hard to say goodbye to Shepard. Photo: Anuj Thapa
LEGAL WARNING
All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA

Comments

  1. I've always been on the fence between cats and dogs, but this article has made me sway towards dogs. Rest in peace shepherd <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless