ONCE A RICH MAN NOW LAY HELPLESS ON THE STREET AND BAGS TO BUY MEDICINES

There is no doubt Gulab Rao’s physical condition is deteriorating rapidly. His condition is so serious that he should be under intense medical care. Lying on the street and begging for some coins will only exacerbate his condition.

Photo: LB Thapa

By LB THAPA

Gulab Rao, once a rich businessman had never thought one day time would turn so cruel against him that he would find himself bagging on the same street, where once he would walk as a proud businessman. Now he is helpless and there is no one to commiserate with his pain and agony.    

However, there was a time when his business thrived and he had a happy family. Once his business was firmly established in Butwal, he also tried his luck in Pokhara. His crockery business was well established in Pokhara. This encouraged him to shift from Butwal to Pokhara permanently. 

During his heyday, Gulab Rao had never had an iota of doubt that one day he would stoop so low that he had to beg on the street of Pokhara. So that he can buy some medicines for himself.   

Gulab Rao, by law, is an Indian citizen. But his roots are much deeper in Nepal than in his birthplace, Akola, Maharastra, India. At a young age, he started visiting Nepal and was soon involved in selling ‘Fiber Plates’. 



“During those days, fiber plates had huge demands. I would take orders from different cities of Nepal and bring crockery items. My business was so good that I brought my wife and children in Butwal. I had 3 sons and 6 daughters. I gave them a good education. When everything was going on well, misfortune knocked at my door in the form of illness. First, I was attacked by the severe conditions of diabetes and pressure. My only mistake was that I took my illness for granted. I wanted to establish my business well and for that I had to work more. As a result, my diabetes turned bad to worse. I started suffering from indigestion and soon my stomach began swelling. Before I could understand the severity of my illness, my stomach turned like a balloon. I started spending all my hard-earned money on treatment. My children did not like the way I was spending money on my treatment. I had been to India for the treatment, but until then it was too late. I visited one hospital to another for the treatment but due to lack of money, I was refused the treatment. Today my wife and sons live together but they have abandoned me. They think I spend all my money on my treatment and left nothing for them. In the end, my daughters came to my rescue. I am staying with my daughters at Baglung Buspark. My daughters give me two times meal. I have to take some medicines regularly, but I have no money to buy them. What else I can do except begging now” said Gulab Rao with tears in his eyes. 

There is no doubt Gulab Rao’s physical condition is deteriorating rapidly. His condition is so serious that he should be under intense medical care. Lying on the street and begging for some coins will only exacerbate his condition. However, Gulab Rao’s poor financial condition does not allow him to visit a good hospital and receive quality medical services. 

Gulab Rao’s physical condition is pathetic. Looking at his condition, if he does not receive urgent medical treatment now, he might possibly fail to cling to life at any moment. His bulging stomach has reached out of proportion. A doctor can say about the possible reason for Gulab Rao’s bulging stomach. A growing tumor at his naval is full of puss. The day it bursts, he won’t be alive to see another day for sure. 

Can Indian Embassy Pension Paying Office, Pokhara do something to save his life?


Now Gulab Rao’s condition is so miserable that hardly can he knock on the doors for help. His family has not supported him. They have stranded him to die. His two daughters, whose financial condition is also not very good, have supported him to date. Gulab Rao desperately needs help. 

“As a last resort, I expect some medical help from the Indian embassy Pokhara. Only had I get rid of my bulging stomach, I have still the confidence to get everything back that I have lost due to my illness. I will put my heart and soul together to restore my lost glory. Alas! My bulging stomach has gone out of proportion that I have completely become helpless and dependable. Such is the misery that without help neither can I sit or stand on my own feet” says helpless Rao. 

We wish Gulab Rao regaining his lost health once again. Looking at his willpower and a strong desire to live life to the fullest, at this moment only Indian Embassy Pension Paying Office Pokhara can make an effort to give him a new life. 

At a time when the medical expenditure has become increasingly out of the reach of the poor people, some people like Gulab Rao are forced to live with their diseases.

LB Thapa is a Pokhara-based freelance writer and author.

LEGAL WARNING

All rights reserved. No articles and photos published in this blog can be reproduced without the prior written permission of the author. Legal action will be taken immediately if any articles or photos are reproduced without the author’s knowledge. However, articles or photos can only be reproduced by duly mentioning the author’s name and the blog's name (read2bhappy.blogspot.com). The author must be informed by sending an email. All articles and the photos published in this blog are the copyright property of LB THAPA.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

KRITIKA GURUNG SCORES 8.0 IN THE IELTS EXAMINATION

RISING HIGH AGAINST THE GUSHING WATER

THIS IS MY JOURNEY: A GIRL WITH A WILL OF STEEL

REKH MAYA GURUNG WINS GOLD MEDAL IN THAILAND

DEALING WITH DEADLY SNAKES

Karate must be compulsory for every girl in schools and colleges

FROM SUICIDE ATTEMPT TO LIVING FOR A CAUSE

SAMIR THAPA: A life dedicated to football

MOTORBIKING WITH A PURPOSE

MANAUSEWA ASHRAM POKHARA: Helping the helpless